Cook County Animal Control Ordinance:
Tethering: To restrain a dog to any object or structure, including without limitation a house, tree, fence, post, garage, shed, clothes line by any means, including without limitation a chain, rope, cord leash or running line.
Sec.10-8 Animal Care.
a. No owner shall fail to provide his or her animal with sufficient wholesome food and water, proper shelter and protection from the weather, veterinary care when needed to prevent suffering and with humane care and treatment.
b. No person shall beat, torment, overload, overwork or otherwise abuse an animal.
c. No person shall own, keep, harbor, or otherwise maintain, with in county, an breeds of fowl that are or will be used in the pursuit of and staging of cockfighting on any premises.
d. No person shall use a tow or log chain as a collar, leash or tether.
e. Restrictions on a dog that is tethered;
1. A tethered dog must have access at all times to water, adequate shelter and dry ground.
2. If there are multiple dogs, each dog must be tethered separately and each dog must have separate food, water and shelter.
3. A dog must be tethered in such a manner as to prevent injury or strangulation and the tether must be at least 10 feet long.
4. The tether must be attached to the dog by a properly fitting collar or harness, with a rotating toggle attachment. Pinch, Prong, or choke collars shall not be used. The tether shall not wrap directly around the dogs neck.
5. No dog may be tethered in the case of extreme weather conditions, including when a heat advisory, a wind chill warning or tornado warning has been issued by local, state, or national authority.
6. No dog shall be tethered within 200 yards of a school.
7. No person shall permit at any time a tethered dog to bark, whine, howl or make excess noise so as to cause a nuisance.
e-f. No person shall promote, stage, hold, manage, conduct or carry on any animal fight or any other type of contest, game or fight of a similar nature, nor any simulated version of same that involves baiting or inciting an animal toward intent to fight.
It is now a felony to ATTEND a dog fight!